As the runway lights faded and the celebrities resided, New York Fashion Week came to a close and the press began to buzz with the season’s most sought after trends. I follow the fashion industry just as closely as I do the beauty industry, as both compliment each other’s presence, and this season, there was nothing more complimentary than the melting of fashion and beauty as the runway lit up. Read on to catch a glimpse at my take on the latest in Spring trends and how you can add them into your every day affairs.
1. TEXTURE.Wave, curl, frizz, fluff, flounce. Whatever you want to call it and however you want to wear it, don’t fight it and embrace your natural texture. My trick? Wrap random sections around the outside of a curling iron (1″ to 1.5″) to refine a few pieces around your nape, crown and face. I usually only do about 10 sections, spritz with either sea spray or a little flexible hair spray, then use my fingers to break the refined curls apart. For an alternative look, glam it up with a side part and some bobby pins and you’ve got yourself a classic Pin-Up girl look.
2. BALAYAGE, OMBRE, MELT. There is nothing more beautiful than a recession proof trend. A continuing theme on the catwalk and lining the seats of runways was the ever present organic color. Darker at the root, fading lighter to the ends, this has truly proven to be a timeless trend. And the best part about it? You can change it up in many different ways: just ask your stylist to slightly change the tone by adding more golds, beiges, coppers or tans into the formula.
3. BRAIDS, BUNS, PONYS & ACCESSORIES. Ever the busy girls best friend, the trends of how you tuck your locks up for the day just keeps getting better and better. There were no rules on the runways; slick chignons, side braids, deconstructed pony tails complimented with head bands. Don’t be afraid to lose your perfection.
4. FRESH HUES. Ribbons of pastels weaved their way through locks at several shows this year. Pastels, the friendliest hue to compliment every exisisting canvas brought a true taste of Spring to every ‘do. Refreshing and a lovely departure from the mundane.
5. FRINGE BENEFITS. Let’s get real for a sec. Whether you are looking to change up your style without hacking of major lengths, or your need to cover up some lines, adding some fringe (or bangs, if you will) is like $5 Botox. Wear them full and blunt or romatically swept to the side (paired with a braid, below) and you’ll be sure to have some spring in your step.
6. WATERWORKS. Just in time for April Showers and pool parties, giving your hair the glossy, wet look was oh-so popular. Applying a light weight gel to the roots and combing it through so it just slightly saturates the ends gives you the perfect beachy keen look. Slick it back into a bun or pony for a high glam occasion, or use your fingers to gently brush out the ends while leaving the roots uninterrupted for some tousled texture.
Just a brief look into some of my favorite Spring trends to grace the runways at NY Fashion Week. I hope this gives you a little inspiration to add an adjustment to your every day look. Don’t be shy to ask your stylist to help you conquer these looks….go ahead and have your Spring Fling.
Much Love, gina ellen.